Our club, well known throughout the county, has a long history dating back over two hundred years.
The earliest current known record of a game being played is 1815, which was between a team of players from Shilton and Thurlaston, against a team from Barwell. Played at Burbage Common, Shilton and Thurlaston won the game over two innings by 35 runs and so the foundations of our great club were laid. Many well-known local family names have turned out for the club including the Balls, Loxleys, Coes, Hightons and many more.
The club is very proud of its players who went on to play for the county and some for the country over those two hundred years. From the old stalwarts like the famous George Panter in the 1860’s to Sam Coe (holder of the counties highest individual score of 252 not out against Northampton in 1914 for over eighty years),William (Billy) Ball, Lewis and Joe Brown and Arthur Hampson in the 1890’s and early 1900’s. Following on with Dick West, Tom Chapman, and Geoff (big) Coe in the 1940’s,50’s and 60’s, and more recently with Nigel Briers, Les Taylor, Jimmy Ormond, and Nicki Shaw (part of the team that won the Women’s World Cup and the Ashes) in the 1970’s,80’s,90’s and 2000’s.
The Golden Age of the club was at the start of the South Leicestershire League in 1896 (Earl Shilton and Barwell cricket clubs were major players in the formation of the league). Earl Shilton 1st XI won the Division One Championship in 1896,1899,1900,1901,1902 and 1903. They were also runners up in 1897 and 1898. In addition, they also won the McLaren Cup outright after five successive wins. A truly remarkable performance.
It was many years later before the club won the Division One Championship again in 1946,1958 and 1959, followed by another similar Golden Age when winning in 1970, 1972,1973,1975,1980 and 1981. A major event in the history of the club was the forming of the limited company (Earl Shilton Town Cricket & Sports Club) in 1920 and the purchase of the new ground in Keats Lane, where games commenced in the 1921 season, set in the heart of the community and for the benefit of future generations.
Joining the Leicester Club Cricket League in 1982, the 1st XI won the Division One Championship in their first season. The 2nd XI won the Division Three Championship in 1982 and 1984. Following a league change to the Everards County Cricket League in the 1990’s, the club now play in the Leicestershire & Rutland Cricket League. Along with Hawley Cup, A.J.Norton Cup and Rural Tankard Cup successes over the years, one of the biggest highlights in the clubs history was reaching the County Cup Final, played at Grace Road in 1990 and 1995, losing on both occasions, but having beaten top county teams on the way to the final.
The first Junior side was formed in 1972 and was the foundation for our successful youth teams. This proved a feeding ground for the youth of the area with several players over the years representing the County at Junior levels and becoming the backbone of the senior teams for years to come.
We are very proud of our tradition and encourage players both junior and senior, to join our club and become part of the next two hundred years.
Our club historian Mick Coe continues to research the club’s history and is grateful for any information that can be shared with him and can be contacted on email@example.com.
See the ‘History Shorts’ produced to date on this website page.
Enjoy some images from our past, don't forget to scroll to the bottom of this page to download our 'History Shorts'
Images below from our 1st Golden Age, champions from 1896,1899,1900,1901,1902 and 1903.
More images below show various ESTCC sides throughought the 20th century, including cup finals at Grace Road - home of Leicestershire CCC.
The second golden age, 1970-1981.
The 1st XI at Grace Road in 1990. Our Director of Cricket capitained this side.
1995 County Cup side returns to Grace Road.